Sunday, April 24, 2011

Five Things

1. Save Davis-Kidd Booksellers.
If you're a Memphian, you may or may not have heard about how the building which currently houses Davis-Kidd is up for auction. It's my understanding that the auction has already taken place but there is apparently some chance of keeping the bookstore at its current location according to the stores facebook page if the Laurelwood Shopping Center can help the stores owners.
Davis-Kidd is currently the only non-used bookstore left in Memphis proper after the closing of Bookstar in January. Write an email, help save a book store. 

2. It's Music Time in Memphis

Abandon all hope for non-frizzy hair and put on your rain boots because it's almost time for the Memphis in May Beale Street Music Festival. Or for the people who actually live here, it's almost Music Fest Weekend. I have a unique opportunity this year since I'm interning for one of the sponsoring radio stations, I shall essentially be living in Tom Lee Park next weekend. This is one of the most anticipated Music Fests since I've been old enough to go forth and hear music in the mud with thousands of Memphians. The full line-up is here and if you're going, stop by the Q tent!



3. Speaking of Internships...
I have no picture for this but in case we aren't facebook friends, I thought i'd whore my blog out to solicit for summer interns. if you're interested in radio and can get school credit, email me your resume at rmiranda@memphis.edu. 

4. Harry Potter Mania

I've been what some people refer to as a Potterhead since about the seventh grade. The first time I read each of the books, I finished them in one day. I even went to the midnight release of Half-Blood Prince with some girls that lived on my dorm floor. It seems fitting that leading up to the release of the final film chapter of the saga (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2) I'd be knee deep in the books and films all over again. I'm writing a 15 page research paper on the books & films for my Children's Literature final. 

If there's a single person reading this blog that hasn't read Harry Potter, do it. If you live in Memphis, I will lend you the books. Asap.

5. The Chewbacca Dog

I'm quite certain that this is the only dog Adam would let me have and we would call him Chewie (of course). Life as a nerdy couple would nearly be complete, save for when we have millions of dollars and get a boat and name it The Millennium Falcon

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea about David Kidd!! Sad news.
    Chewbacca dog = pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad about the bookstores! Stupid Kindles ruining everything. I was also sad that I missed the sale before bookstar closed. P.s. thanks for the blog #ff :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what my readers have to say so pretty please, leave me a comment.